Thursday, August 7, 2008

Heartbreak

I hang out at a forum for women who have experienced late miscarriages, multiple miscarriages or stillbirths. There are several women there who are pregnant now, and we chat back and forth about how it's going for them, grilling them intensely to make sure they're doing alright, because that makes us feel that we're going to be alright, too.

One of the ladies found out at a scan this morning that her little baby is not alive. She was more than halfway through her pregnancy, and it's her second late loss in a row.

I'm heartbroken for her. I wish she could go to sleep and have the pain and the loss be gone when she wakes up, realize that it was just a terrible dream. Sadly, I know it will likely be the other way around -- each morning she will slowly remember what a few hours of sleep and dreams allowed her to temporarily forget.

There isn't much I can say, either to her or about her. I can just say that I'm so very sorry.

No comments: