Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Fecundity

A friend of mine gets on my case whenever I haven't blogged for a while. I tell him that I haven't been seriously annoyed and sitting in front of a computer simultaneously for a while now, so he'll have to deal.

A lot of the not sitting in front of a computer has to do with me having "symphus pubus disorder," which means I have an unusual amount of pain associated with the loosening and widening of my pelvic bone that occurs in every pregnancy to prepare for the birth. The Swedish term "foglossning," which basically means "coming apart at the seams," is a much more telling description of what is physically happening (the "seams" in the pelvis are softening and widening, so the two halves move much more independently than normal) and of how much it hurts.

Anyway, this means that sitting (or standing, or walking, or going from sitting to standing, or getting into or out of bed, or turning over in bed, or... well, everything but sleeping) makes me hurt more. My computer has mostly been sitting at the end of the bed and being used to watch episodes of Scrubs.

Yesterday I managed to get my midwife to confirm that many people who experience foglossning still have it even after the baby is born. Oh, and that it gets worse with every pregnancy.

JOY.

So my goal is to be so rich by the next time I'm pregnant that I can take much more time off before the baby comes and just lie around with my feet propped up. Or rather, let's be honest, the goal is for FREDRIK to be rich enough by that time. I always thought that I was smart enough to end up rich some day, and I've come to terms with the fact that that smartness involved marrying someone even smarter and with much more applicable talent.

My talent appears to be in the baby-making category. Okay, we'll ignore the fact that the last attempt didn't go so well. On this attempt, I got knocked up on the second try, for starters, and I'm currently passing all the midwife's tests with flying colors. My hemoglobin is up (despite not taking daily iron supplements), my blood sugar is stable, my blood pressure is low and there's no "egg white" in my urine (that just sounds so weird, doesn't it?), my symphus fundus measurement is spot on (read: I'm as fat as I'm supposed to be), and this kid is already head-down and engaging. Locked and loaded! There are other things that are working as intended as well, but quite frankly, I'm not sure I know you well enough to discuss them with you. And yes, indeed, I take credit for it all! I'm sure it's all because I'm super awesome and have done everything right.

Okay, so I will blog again soon, I hope. Don't fret. The post will probably be about Republicans saying stupid things about Guantanamo, or Mona Sahlin saying stupid things about taxes, or maybe a recipe for lime pie.

2 comments:

Harald Nautsch said...

omg, when are you going to blog about Mona and the Republicans going to Guantanamo for the tax payers money to eat lime pie?!?

Tildy said...

Soon... very very soon. Or not at all.