Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thanksgiving Dinner

For the first time in a couple or more years, I'm planning a Thanksgiving dinner. It's tough to decide who to invite, since it's obviously* not a family occassion here and therefore I invite friends, but I can't invite everyone that I'd like to, especially since turkeys here are really on the small side (as is my oven).

So now that I've decided to do it and have invited some people, I started the planning by trying to find a turkey. ICA Maxi had a whole freezer full of 'em, but they we all around or below 4 kg (9 lb). Just now I found a full 5 kg bird at Coop Konsum in Lambohov, but we had walked there to buy milk and weren't really in the mood for walking back home with an 11 lb frozen boulder.

But just for those of you in the states who might be planning your own turkey fest, a comparison:

Price for a whole frozen turkey in America: about 79 cents a pound, or about $9.50 for a 12 lb turkey.

Price for a whole frozen turkey in Sweden: 63 Swedish kronor per kilo, or about $44 for a 12 lb turkey. Youch.

Sweden is many things, but not the place to go for a cheap turkey.

*This was apparently not so obvious to some of my mom's friends. They seemed surprised that Thanksgiving wasn't celebrated in Sweden. The entire combined force of America's past and present second grade teachers sighed/cried/rolled in their graves.

No comments: